Friday, October 5, 2018

Day 5 - Capture you grief 2018



Day 5: Rituals

The only ‘ritual’ I can really think of that we do is have a birthday for Lily each year. And it always involves cake from a delicious cake shop! But this happens at different places, different times and we often do different things. 

There are also many things we have done over the last 7 years to remember her, on her 5th birthday I got my first, and only, tattoo, we have had a memory bear made in the same outfit she was buried in (which took a lot of hunting and an incredible facebook journey to track down!) and I have, just today, received a Huggable Heart, a heart shaped cushion weighing the same as Lily weighed at birth. And while there is no way I will ever forget Lily, these are things I can do in her name I guess. I don’t need tokens to remember her, I don’t need her name on my wrist to know she existed, but it is there as a tribute to her I guess.

1 common theme that is hard to give up, is helium balloons. On the day of her funeral, many loved ones got together before the funeral and with the help of a couple of big helium tanks, inflated over 200 balloons, in a rainbow of colours. After the funeral we released the majority of them, there is a beautiful shot of these flying off in a (unintentional) heart shape. We took the last 30 or so balloons to her burial and released them there. There was one sneaky little pink balloon that refused to fly away. It hovered around for awhile and when all the other balloons, with a bit of encouragement, it decided it was time to go, in a completely different direction to all the other balloons, and more beautifully, it flew up through a cloud formation shaped like a heart. So we often incorporate balloons in our ‘rituals’. My tattoo has a balloon, her head stone has a balloon and when I see balloons, Lily is usually my first thought.

We celebrated Lily right through our pregnancy, and we continue to do so today. Because even though she may not be with us now, her life will always be worth celebrating.










No comments:

Post a Comment