Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Capture your grief - Day 17


Day 17 – Gratitude (is it really all it’s talked up to be when it come to healing? Is it something you practice?)

Heck yes! It is also an extremely hard thing to ‘decide’ to feel in the midst of grief. We chose from the start to focus on celebrating what we did have, to celebrate Lily for as long as we had her, rather than to spend her life dwelling on what we were going to lose. I had nothing to do with denial or anything, it was cherishing her, knowing she was a blessing to our lives.
After our Lily was gone, the pain was of course, real and extreme. That’s what love does. However, someone suggested I try to find something positive in each day, some days it was hard, sometimes the positive was “getting up”. Because some days the grief was overwhelming. But the simple act of thinking on positives, or things to be grateful for gave me the opportunity to refocus and whether it worked on not each day, it did always remind me that my pain was the result of having something that was so hard to say goodbye to. The pain was always worth it.

To this day, remembering what we lost, reminds me of what I had, what I have and the importance of valuing it today, of making the most of it, of being present with those I love and in how I choose to spend my time.



No comments:

Post a Comment